Abington Township is one of Montgomery County’s oldest communities dating back to before 1700, however, the official date for the incorporation of the township is 1704. Abington is home to some of the county’s oldest transportation routes, industries and churches. Many of these older business and transportation centers were the forerunners of modern Abington.
Today, Abington Township is a highly desirable residential area that contains a major shopping center, many small businesses, and a few of Montgomery County's largest employers. Communities within the township include Willow Grove, Roslyn, Glenside, Rydal, North Hills, and Meadowbrook.
The mission of Abington Township is to serve the best interests of all our residents by providing and maintaining a safe, healthy and affordable place to live.
We recognize the dignity and worth of public service and are dedicated to the highest standards of integrity.
We pledge to be a self-motivated, responsive municipality that continually strives to provide the most efficient, effective and fiscally responsible service for Abington residents.
Abington Township Census Data as compiled by the Montgomery County Planning Commission.
Almost the entire township is serviced by public water and sewer systems. A large full-time police force serves the community. Volunteer fire companies provide service to the area. Residential trash disposal is provided by the township.
Year-round programs are conducted by the Township’s Department of Parks & Recreation. Facilities include community parks, nature areas, a large number of public playgrounds, athletic fields, tennis courts, and swimming pools. For more information on what is available, please call 267-536-1000.
Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (SEPTA) bus and rail lines provide the community with easy access to points within eastern Montgomery County and Philadelphia.
Several community and neighborhood shopping facilities are located throughout the township. The nearest major shopping mall is the Willow Grove Park Mall located in the northwestern corner of the township.